Tuesday, August 01, 2006

News: The Dark Knight

So this isn't really breaking news anymore, but I didn't have a chance to write a post about it earlier. Here's the scoop:

The next film in the rejuvenated Batman series will be titled The Dark Knight. Production is set to start early in 2007, and The Dark Knight will reprise the same directing/writing crew from Batman Begins. It's likely that the movie will feature more than one of Gotham's iconic villians, but as of now, only one has been cast:

Heath Ledger (of Paws fame) will star as The Joker.

The news was "leaked" last weekend, but Warner Brothers Pictures officially confirmed it yesterday. President of Production, Jeff Robinov, said:

Chris'[Nolan] unique vision is what made Begins such an outstanding film and we could not imagine anyone else at the helm of The Dark Knight...We also can't wait to see two such formidable actors as Christian and Heath face off with each other as Batman and The Joker.

I've seriously spent a lot of time trying to think up some funny commentary on this development. Unfortunately, I think it's probably...not funny. I mean, I made that funny picture up there, but that was about as far as I could carry it.

Using Frank Miller's genre-defining novel for the title of Chris Nolan's second Bat-film is genius. I only hope it gleams some of the brilliance from Frank's book.

Using Heath Ledger's genre-defining acting for The Joker is genius. I only hope he brings the same special "something" to this role that he brought to that movie with the knight and the jousting and those Queen songs.

Ha ha! That was a good movie.

2 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Blogger cechols said...

Han, have I ever thought you shallow?

Aloof? Sometimes. Sardonic? Certainly. British? Always. But never shallow.

Thanks for the compliment on my masterfully-crafted photo. :)

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the best picture ever! It's makes me want to look up some of the classic lines the Joker said on The Batman television show. I think I will.

Joker: Either I get The S.S. Gotham, or your precious Dynamic Duo gets launched... to eternity!
[laughs]
Joker: [Batman and Robin enter]
Batman: Wrong, Joker! YOU get launched!
Robin: Right back to the pen where you belong!
Joker: Egads! What sorcery is this? There was enough paralyzing gas in that cork to keep ordinary men unconscious for hours!
Batman: No sorcery; merely the precaution of a Universal Drug Antidote PILL!
[slugs The Joker]
Robin: You've tripped on one of your tricks this time, Joker!
Batman: That replica of your utility belt was too exact!
Robin: We analyzed the cork and had found paralyzing gas!
Batman: And I happened to notice that the seal around the bottle of that cork was NOT discolored with age... odd in a 1949 vintage!

Man...that's awesome! I've gotta hit you with another.

Joker: [laughing] Have a SNEEZE on me, Batman!
[Joker administers sneezing powder upon Batman, which has no effect]
Batman: No use, Joker! I knew you'd employ your sneezing powder, so I took an Anti-Allergy Pill! Instead of a SNEEZE, I've caught YOU, COLD!

Classic! I really hope Heath Ledger has to say one of those. Maybe just 'Egads! What sorcery is this'. That would be enough for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home