Monday, July 03, 2006

Music: KT Tunstall


I have a confession to make:

I love girls that make good music.

Lisa Loeb, Diana Krall, Fiona Apple, Alison Krauss, the list goes on. These fine ladies all hold a place in my list of favorite artists. Thank XM Radio for adding another to that list. I snagged the last 30 seconds of KT Tunstall's single, Black Horse and The Cherry Tree, and that was it. I was sold.

iTunes provided the album, Eye to The Telescope, and her music has done the rest. KT's broad vocal range and rich melodies are rare fare in popular music these days. Her songs find a comfortable balance between country & western foot-stomp and delicately-crafted guitar ballads.

As an artist, there's plenty here to like. But as an individual, the girl has some truly unique roots. She's part Chinese, raised in Scotland, and claims an Ella Fitzgerald tape was her singing teacher.

Ok. So this is the point where I say, "But you don't have to take my word for it..." and I send you to her site.

This is her official US website, hosted by label Virgin Records. But this is her personal homepage, and I think, the better of the two. The latter site isn't nearly as slick, but you'll find it more revealing. You'll want that extra info when you tell your friends about your new favorite Scots-Asian country balladette.

Woo hoo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home