Friday, July 21, 2006

Trailer: TMNT

Holy Technodrome! The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are coming back to the big screen.

Back in the early 90's there were rumblings that the green teens supreme might get a CGI revamp with Hong Kong action impresario, John Woo, at the helm. Apparently, that never materialized, as Woo isn't linked to this film. But leave it to The Weinstein Company and Imagi to make a CGI turtles flick happen anyway.

Growing up, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were easily one of the biggest influences on my young mind - at least as far as pop culture goes. I collected the comics, I watched the TV show religiously, I once stood in line for hours with my mom to get Peter Laird's autograph (which I lost...probably the next day).

Hokey as it may sound, I have had a soft spot for the turtles nearly my entire life. Once my childhood zealotry cooled, I was left with an unmistakable nostalgia for the awesomeness of my favorite mutant ninjas.

As much as I'm impressed by the fact that TMNT has survived into the 21st century, I'm not surprised by it. There is just something about it that resonates with kids - and sparks that nostalgia in big kids my age.

Watch the trailer. It's short and not very revealing, but it's cool.

To me, the teaser looks like a combo of the opening cityscape from the animated TV series, the next-to-last stage in the TMNT arcade game (where you have to storm the Foot Clan's mid-town highrise headquarters), and one of those freerunning videos you see on the internet.

All in all, I'm flipping excited. Cowabunga, dudes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home